Amazon Search

America gave me a good immigrant award. Oh, how bittersweet | Maeve Higgins

My award proves many Americans know how essential immigrants are to our society. If only this understanding reached the White House

I’m not a loser per se, but the truth is I never win anything. Just this week my dental insurance wrote to tell me I didn’t even win a root canal that my dentist nominated me for. So I’m shocked to realize that this Saturday I will be sashaying along under the great domed ceiling of Federal Hall in downtown Manhattan to collect an award. An “Alexander Hamilton Immigrant Achievement” award for my “outstanding contribution to Lower Manhattan and New York State”.

The award is presented by the Lower Manhattan Historical Association, an organization that honors multicultural diversity and celebrates “the dynamic cosmopolitan optimism that defines so much of the American spirit”.

Continue reading...

from US news | The Guardian https://ift.tt/2lGQDXj