Amazon Search

South America’s World Cup is over but Uruguay are an example to everyone | Jorge Valdano

Uruguay were eliminated in the quarter-finals in Russia but their approach to football – and life – should be applauded

Related: ‘I love football because it’s the opposite of science: contradictory, primitive, emotional’

It was Italia 90 and I was in Milan for the World Cup. I had been there for three weeks and my head was full of football. I needed a moment’s peace and a double espresso, so I ducked into a small café. There were few customers and, at one end, a television showing football in black and white. I turned my back on it all and waited for my coffee in silence, thinking about nothing in particular. Suddenly, a piercing scream scared the life out of me. Something had happened. I turned around and realised that the noise was the most decontextualised goal celebration I had heard in my life. Still in shock, I saw him shouting – the “goal” not yet over. It had to be some madman. Only, it wasn’t … or perhaps it was.

Continue reading...

from US news | The Guardian https://ift.tt/2KZxxqn