Amazon Search

Beto O'Rourke's narrow loss to Ted Cruz a 'wake-up call for Texas'

The new Democratic superstar’s greatest victory has been wrestling a Republican stronghold back into play

In the end, the night was not to be his. Beto O’Rourke, an obscure Democratic congress member from the border town of El Paso who has risen to be one of his party’s new superstars, conceded defeat in his insurgent bid to unseat Ted Cruz from a US senate seat in Texas but in words that sounded like those of the victor.

“I believe in you, I believe in Texas and I believe in this country,” he told a crowdin his hometown of El Paso. “I’m as inspired I’m as hopeful as I’ve ever been in my life. Tonight’s loss does nothing to diminish the way that I feel about Texas or this country.”

Continue reading...

from US news | The Guardian https://ift.tt/2RDLyNy