Amazon Search

[MA] Man that sold me a car called my insurance company and listed himself as a driver. Now they won’t take it off until he verifies that we don’t live together. He’s blocked my number.

I bought a car last year from a mutual friend that I didn’t know well at all. Everything was fine until this past June, when he fell into some heavy debt. He gave me a call sometime around June, asking me to take out a loan for him, to which I refused. Red flag number one right there. After this, he began to harass and pester me for money (was already paying way more than I should’ve been monthly for this car). I eventually just gave the car back and that was that. I gave the car back mid July and purchased a new one (Nissan Altima) from a legitimate dealer. This morning I received a call from my insurance company (progressive), saying that this man has listed himself as a driver, costing me another $500. I calmly explained the situation, but they told me that unless he can provide proof that we don’t live together, (we absolutely do not) I still have to pay it. This is absurd, how is this allowed? The guy in question is obviously desperate and trying to get back at me for giving the car back, but how can I provide proof for someone else? This is in Massachusetts and I have progressive insurance.

Update #1: okay so a lot has happened since I first posted. For starters, I should clarify some things. We signed an agreement that I would pay monthly increments for the title. Until the car (30k) was paid in full, he held onto the title. Initially he said I would be under his insurance, but only a few days after I saw this guy was kind of shady and switched to my own. I did not have the car in my name, which is why I was able to give it back so easily. I just thought “screw this drama, I’ll just get a new car.” Today my adjuster happens to be “out sick” but I reported this man to both the state and federal insurance fraud agencies. A representative of Progressive informed me that the man in question blatantly lied to my adjuster and told him we live together, and that he drives my vehicles occasionally. I have only spoken to him a number of times, so this is certainly not true. I’ve been in contact with a representative of both progressive and the insurance fraud agencies all morning and am finishing sending in documentation as we speak. I’m expecting a phone call and will update soon.

Update #2: Not much has changed since the last update, except everything has been officially reported with all required documentation. Luckily I kept all of the text messages between us, which I attached to the reports I filed. With my adjuster out today (of all days, just my luck) it’s a bit difficult to get this taken care of. After I settle this, because I am NOT paying an extra $500, I will most definitely be switching providers.

submitted by /u/JamesCrow to r/legaladvice
[link] [comments]

from reddit: the front page of the internet https://ift.tt/2TAIKCK