Amazon Search

I'm a pedestrian who waved in an SUV in a narrow gap and he got into an accident and he's threatening to sue me.

This happened a few days ago. I live in Philly and I was walking along a busy street and I see this SUV at a one-way narrow street waiting to move forward at a green light. There is a small car ahead of him that's turning right. The SUV wasn't moving past the car because he thought he didn't have enough room. I saw that he did and I just gave him a thumbs up that he can go. He ended up hitting the other car (he was trying to avoid the curb I guess and turned at the last second).

They got into a bit of an argument and shared info and decided to call the police to make a claim I think. I didn't really listen but the other guy (in the small car) asked me to hang back and provide a witness in case he needs it since I saw the whole thing. They both shared each others insurance and ID.

The SUV guy asked me for my ID for witness too for his insurance claim. Soon after he took a picture of my ID on his phone he said I was the reason he moved and that he will have to make a claim against me. He is threatening to sue me and said that he would rather just send me the damage bill of both of the cars. I felt bad because I gave him the thumbs up that there was room but he DID turn at the last second. The other guy was also annoyed that I shouldn't have told him to go.

He called and left a VM that I need to act soon because if he makes a claim in a court it would lead to a lot of legal fees for both of us or something. He said that if I agree to pay I can just pay half of the damages.

I'm worried that it's going to be a huge amount and I don't want to go to court. If it goes to court will I have my credit ruined? Sorry I don't know too much legal stuff!

Edit: Now he is saying that my future will be screwed and my credit score is going to be messed up and that there is a possibility that I may be criminally convicted?? I am an immigrant here on a visa and I am worried that it's going to affect me!

Edit 2: Hey guys, thank you so much for your support! This has been really helpful. However, I am getting conflicting advice here. Some are saying that the other person (SUV guy) has a case and it seems like there have been cases similar to this. Some are telling me that I am absolutely guilty and should have everything taken from me! Also I am not sure who Ayan Rand (legal author?) is and how this affects me? I spoke with a legal hotline service and they said that they are not sure of the laws but I need to get a notarized letter from the SUV guy saying that i won't be sued if I choose to pay. I am honestly super scared and stressed that my immigration status will be affected (like the guy said). Should I be contacting immigration lawyer too?

submitted by /u/doubtswithin to r/legaladvice
[link] [comments]

from reddit: the front page of the internet https://ift.tt/2NE0clk