Amazon Search

Am I insane for thinking about taking 3-4 unpaid months off to travel?

Background: 25 years old, living in the northeast US. Recently paid off $50k in student loans and now completely debt free. Around $75k saved for retirement and $10k liquid.

I'm thinking about leaving my current stressful but well-paid job at a tech company in a few months and finding an opportunity abroad on Workaway or HelpX. The plan would be to work on a farm or in a hostel abroad (Europe or South America) for a couple months then returning to the states to dive back in with another company.

My expenses would be around $1000/mo during this period but I wouldn't be able to save as aggressively as I have been doing. Still, I think it would be an extremely fulfilling experience. I currently rent so I'd do this at the end of my lease, don't have a car to unload, and have been trimming down on possessions so I could easily keep my belongings with family while I'm away. I'm also a dual citizen (US/NL) and could legally work in Europe for this period.

Is this something that's worth pursuing or just reckless? Has anyone here has experience doing something similar?

EDIT: Just want to say thank you to those who have added their thoughts here. Was not expecting this kind of response or consensus when I posted. It's easy to lose perspective in a career track where competition and profits are #1 above all else. It's so, so helpful to get input from a group of people with all kinds of experiences and goals to help me find my way a little more clearly.

submitted by /u/adthrowaway869594 to r/personalfinance
[link] [comments]

from reddit: the front page of the internet https://ift.tt/2FUgCre